Kupjack room on the Antique Road Show

Member1

Here is a you tube clip of a Kupjack Room on PBS's Antique Road Show. I am surprised it has taken this long for one to show up. What do you think of the price estimates?

Mmh, probably way too low...especially after the Adell Venus Collection auction last year...it showed that collectors really appreciate and are willing to pay good prices for unique pieces.

$100 000 for a new roombox, not so sure about that one, depends a lot on who makes it and fill it, I think it will require a special miniature artist and a very willing collector to get to that price, will be interesting to hear what others think.

It's not surprising that "antiques people" wouldn't quite know how to evaluate a Kupjack room, and the estimate certainly seems low to me.

Of course, it would depend on the auction, and the pool of potential buyers.

It is good to see miniatures finally starting to make an impressive showing on the secondary market. The Venus auction was a big step in that direction, and I give The Leslie Hindman folks a lot of the credit for presenting the miniatures as fine art - which, of course, they are. It remains to be seen, however, if that auction was a unique event and if those fabulous prices will hold up at future sales. 

I think the value for the original piece is based upon historical data, perhaps within 5 -10 years from Major Auction houses in the US.  The appraisers on Antiques Roadshow frequently indicate they talk to their colleagues, and I know they have access to auction databases.  I do remember a Kupjack roombox was listed on eBay, and I emailed Ron and April Gill to ask the owners of the Midwest Miniatures Museum  (Hickory Corners, MI)  wanted to add a Kupjack roombox to their collection.  Unfortunately, I don't think I saved that particular auction and I haven't visited recently to see if it in the collection.  This was a low estimate if we have a group of bidders who really want a historical piece.. we have many artisans that are quite capable of incredible roomsboxes today, and at this $100,000 estimate to have this made today, we would have well-fed artisans. 

We should all be able to follow the next major collection at Leslie Hindman auctions on July 23-24, for Cookie Ziemba and Eunice Gold.  I could not find the catalog on line this evening in an internet search, but I did receive the announcement from Cookie in email.

You know the crazy things about auctions is you can look around and find both very high and very low examples of about anything.

• 5 weeks later...

I joined the Forum a few days ago and was interested to find this topic. I hadn't seen the Antique Road Show when they featured the Kupjack room, so it was interesting to see it here. I understand why the price of $100,000 was mentioned but that would refer to some of the more current rooms by Hank Kupjack, one of Eugene's sons. He actually does sell for this price.

I can't agree with the $5,000-7,000 as a selling price. I have to assume that was an estimate as if it was being sold at auction. I feel I've become nearly an estimate on auction estimating. With my own auction coming up in about a month on July 23-24 on Chicago, I've worked very closely with the auctioneer. I saw Nell Corkin mentioned this below and couldn't find the listing online as of the date she looked.

The auction catalog is now online at www.lesliehindman.com and the entire auction can be paged through and bidding can be done through their website. I finally got my own copy of the catalog today and am simply thrilled. It is so much more impressive when held in your own hand. I do hope all will look at it

Best regards,

Cookie Ziemba

Http://cookiez123.blogspot.com

The photo is of the Cotswold house

post-175-0-14335000-1403326658_thumb.jpg

"I can't agree with the $5,000-7,000 as a selling price."....... Are you saying it should be higher or lower?

I'm sorry that was unclear, I meant that I think it would sell for much higher and this amount was an estimate only. I couldn't say an actual opinion on price, it's what the market proves it's worth.

Cookie Ziemba

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, If I had the money for it, I think I would rather buy a room made by Whitledge-Burgess instead.

From the picture I can"t see that this one is better in quality or beauty.

And that is what it is all about for me.

But that's just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is, there's no Kelly Blue Book value on these items like their is for cars, rare coins and stamps, the value or price something will sell for depends on what someone is willing to pay at the time they are looking and at the time the item they want is for sale.

Someone who just HAS to have that particular item and has lots of money might pay $50,000 for it, while someone else may not be willing to even pay as much as $500.

In a way it's similar to real estate, there's a gorgeous historic 3 story brick Victorian house built in 1898, here, meticulously restored and repaired, in imaculate condition and on the historic register, it also has a large custom built detached garage, landscaping, gazebo,  and a rock garden,  but the owner can't even sell it for $275,000 and has been trying for over 2 years. He recently dropped the price to $225,000 and still hasn't had any interest at all in it so he took it off the market for now.

Why? because few women today want to trudge up 3 flights of stairs with laundry and vacuum cleaners, and it's in a small town which has few job opportunities, no one wants to buy it seemingly at ANY reasonable price.

The same house elsewhere would sell for several times that price almost immediately.

• 2 months later...

I was at a local auction this past Saturday and purchased a catalog from the 1984 East Side House Winter Antiques Show (New York City).  It had a wonderful 30 page article on the history of the Kupjack firm with color photos of 30 Kupjack room boxes that had been loaned for exhibit at the show.  A price of "as much as $50,000" for a room was mentioned in the article. 

Archived