Where do you do your thing?

Bill Hudson

Amazing what you managed to put into such a small area Victoria! I really like your magnectic strip for all your burs and cutters, I will have to and look to see if I can find something similar.

Amazing what you managed to put into such a small area Victoria! I really like your magnectic strip for all your burs and cutters, I will have to and look to see if I can find something similar.

These holders are used for knives, pretty cheap, about 10$, I bought just two to try if they could hold screwdrivers and such, and now I'm going to buy at least four more as they hold everything I need except few router bits. 

• 4 weeks later...

if you are around an Ikea store they have some really nice magnetic bars. I put a layer of thin adhesive backed cork over the smooth stainless steel surface. They are very strong magnets so the cork layer does not weaken the grip. The cork protects the cutting edges on tools such as rotary tool burrs or gouges from getting any damage that might dull them. You can get sheets of that thin adhesive backed cork from office supply and craft stores.

magnet%252520bar.jpg

Thank you Karin, the cork is a great idea and I have a piece lying around here somewhere.

Magnets are a good way to get all your steel tools magnetized and they will soon have little whiskers sticking to them. 

Boy I hear that! Every time I use my home made magnet jig, what a nightmare :)  steel wool is insidious...I've come to the conclusion magnets are way more trouble than they're worth. Huge PIA. I have this really well made nice #11 knife, but it has a magnet in the end. No useful reason as far as I know. Everything metal sticks to it, and the whiskers too. Finally put a plastic cap I found on it. I backed it off some, and problem solved.

Magnets are a good way to get all your steel tools magnetized and they will soon have little whiskers sticking to them. 

I have a small demagnetizer I keep in my tool box that I can pass small tools through. But other than some of my commercially magnetized screw driver tips I use for various full sized construction projects I have never had any issues with my small tools accumulating steel and iron bits. But I know you work with a lot more steel in miniature making that I do.

Truthfully I have never had an issue with this when using magnetic tool bars because it can be prevented with housekeeping.

The preventative solution is to "sweep" your work bench area with a big magnet after filing and drilling on steel. I have a powerful magnet with a handle on it that I use for picking up steel debris such as fine filing debris,  shavings from drilling, rust particles, dropped nails, brads and screws etc. They are available at hardware stores. Harbor Freight has them on sale at the moment for under $3.00  http://www.harborfreight.com/30-lb-capacity-powerful-handle-magnets-67156.html

Karin,

Is you demagnetizer one that is solid with various pass throughs or is it electric?  The harbor freight magnet, Can it be turned off to release the metal?

Here is my work shop Im not finished setting up yet  and most of the big equipment is out of frame .

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thank you Victoria  I'm almost done I have to set it up for flow ;)

On 3/20/2016 at 7:08 AM, Victoria said:

Such  a great place! Was exciting to follow your progress on Instagram. 

On 3/20/2016 at 2:40 AM, miraclechicken said:

Nice Mario! Love your signs---

Thank you Linda its kind of my mini man cave of sorts.

On March 20, 2016 at 0:52 AM, Mario M said:

Here is my work shop Im not finished setting up yet  and most of the big equipment is out of frame .

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice workshop, Mario! Glad to see a fellow Louisianian posting here! Martha

On 3/22/2016 at 8:18 AM, Mesouth said:

Nice workshop, Mario! Glad to see a fellow Louisianian posting here! Martha

Thank you

Archived