airbrush & varnish

Ron Anderson

Used varnish thinned with turpentine in airbrush. Now can only spray solvent. Thinned varnish just spatters. Can airbrush be salvaged? Ron Anderson

What make and model of airbrush? I know I can clean anything out of my Passche brushes... Well most models, not the turbo.

It sounds like you may have moisture in your lines. Do you have a moisture trap? I have sprayed thinned varnish in my brush before. It just needs tho be cleaned out almost immediately or run your turps through it.

My airbrush is a Paache double action internal mixing.  I don't have a moisture trap in line. I have a trap. Will need to get a couple of connectors to insert it in line. I appreciate your responses.

I think that is the VL series like the one I use, these are easy to clean, 1st, screw off the red plastic handle, then you will see a knurled nut, loosen this and the needle can be taken out, in the kit there was or at least used to be, mine is 35 years old, a sort of half needle, this is a reamer to clean the tip…. just put it in and turn it. Now if it is really loaded up the needle might not want to come out…. there can be two places it is hung up, one is there is a rubber ring deep inside that could be stuck to it…. just unscrew that whole back part that was under the red handle, you'll see the metal body is threaded on the inside. Or unscrew the the noseat the hex part, you may also need to unscrew the the little knurled end and clean out the row of holes….. anyway when you get the nose off you can gently remove the brass cone around the end of the needle, it is a tapered fit where it goes into the metal body. At this point all that is left is the air valve and it rarely needs attention.

If this doesn't work bring it to Castine and I'll take a look…..

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for advise. I basically did it all. I cleaned it again, and again. I put inline moisture trap. I also tried full strength varnish and turned up the air pressure from 25 to 40. Bingo. Perfect result. Ya gotta love this forum...Ron

• 2 years later...

Hi FMF members... would you keep a dedicated airbrush for paint and a dedicated airbrush for lacquer?  I first used my Paasche for paint and I have never used it for lacquer, but I don't want contaminated lacquer finishes... and I have several projects from workshops that I need to finish!   

I am ignoring my mini me sitting on my left shoulder who is whispering in my ear.... what are you going to do about overspray?

Archived