What is your favorite finish for fine furnishing

WeekendMiniaturist

I got sick and tired of finishing my pieces with Danish oil, it can get quite sticky and messy to work with and is labour intensive too, I bought some teak oil about two yeas ago and decided to try it again...oh my, so much easier to use and it gives a wonderful finish on mopane.

20160325_130331_zpsat9tiqq6.jpg

Beautiful! Did you do multiple coats? When I use tung oil I do several coats with fine steel wool to buff in between coats.

Martha

Yes Martha, I do multiple coats and also use steel wool in between, teak oil is a mix of tung and linseed oil. Our normal hardware stores don't carry these kinds of products at all, fortunately there are a shop in Johannesburg that caters for professional woodworkers that import mostly UK brands. 

I appreciate another option for steel wool.  I am suspect that Steel Wool ever so slightly changes the outcome of the color, so I have always used old worn out paper backed sandpaper......

I haven't had any problems with steel wool so far, I was doing a bit of online research on all the different oils and came across a South African company that manufactors Danish oil etc, what caught my eye though is their liquid sandpaper...something I would like to try on both my miniatures and full scale furniture that needs attention, here is the link if anyone would like to read more about it.

http://www.thewoodcarecompany.co.za/products/

• 4 weeks later...

I have been working with shellac lately. I use a coat of platina first (a really light almost clear) then 2 coats of garnet (if I want the color) then back to the platina. Too many coats of garnet tends to get muddy looking. I get my dewaxed flakes from WellerMart in 2 oz bags

The latest piece I am making is oak so I have been experimenting with fuming the oak with ammonia to darken it naturally. I "soaked" in some tea first to increase the tannins 

From WRR, June 14, 2014

>I use Behlen brand thinner, about $ 35 a gallon. I used to use DuPont that I would get at a place that sold to auto body shops but I think they stopped making it.

I googled Dupont laquer and found lots of options at this website...

https://www.johnsonautobodysupply.com/cgi-johnsonautobodysupply/sb/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*2eb160f379b9b28faa44be9bc0420e1179f68648b73c16c45e&search_field=dupont+lacquer

Probably accessible at our high end suppliers... in the cabinetmaking and auto paint worlds.

Summer will be here soon, so it is time for me to gather supplies to do some spraying...

Tamra

Yes just a really light colored almost clear shellac

Similar to blonde only lighter so I guess bleached blonde?

(actually I found out platina refers to a platinum alloy also so I guess it is platinum blonde)

Archived